About eNothing

My photo
eNOTHING has a mission: To bring poetry, arts and music to the streets via a growing artistic Twitter community.

POEM OF THE DAY -- "Don't Go Far Off" by Pablo Neruda



Another of the great love poems by Pablo Neruda, Chilean master. Neruda wrote in a variety of styles such as erotically charged love poems as in his collection "Twenty Poems of Love and a Song of Despair", surrealist poems, historical epics, and overtly political manifestos. In 1971 Pablo Neruda won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

His poems seem to invoke strong feelings, no matter the style or subject. His greatest talent appears to be his ability to draw empathy (even tears) from his readers, which is perhaps the greatest key to his popularity (or anyone's popularity) as a poet.

He has the ability to broadcast spirituality, and people who read him are drawn to that.



Don't Go Far Off


By Pablo Neruda

Don't go far off, not even for a day, because --
because -- I don't know how to say it: a day is long
and I will be waiting for you, as in an empty station
when the trains are parked off somewhere else, asleep.

Don't leave me, even for an hour, because
then the little drops of anguish will all run together,
the smoke that roams looking for a home will drift
into me, choking my lost heart.

Oh, may your silhouette never dissolve on the beach;
may your eyelids never flutter into the empty distance.
Don't leave me for a second, my dearest,

because in that moment you'll have gone so far
I'll wander mazily over all the earth, asking,
Will you come back? Will you leave me here, dying?


-

No comments:

Post a Comment