About eNothing

My photo
eNOTHING has a mission: To bring poetry, arts and music to the streets via a growing artistic Twitter community.

POEM OF THE DAY "Lies About Love" by D.H. Lawrence


Lies About Love

by David Herbert Lawrence

We are a liars, because
the truth of yesterday becomes a lie tomorrow,
whereas letters are fixed,
and we live by the letter of truth.
The love I feel for my friend, this year,
is different from the love I felt last year.
If it were not so, it would be a lie.
Yet we reiterate love! love! love!
as if it were a coin with a fixed value
instead of a flower that dies, and opens a different bud.

-

1 comment:

  1. There is a root of familiarity here. The notion of letters holding a record of truth, and that truth being relevant to a time and space. I agree that truth is relative. But love? Love transcends. It grows and evolves, and in some cases dies, but it has a germaine feature even in death: that it was felt, is felt. Love is in and of itself a truth.

    I am fudging my grammar here, but I believe this to be the case.

    ReplyDelete