About eNothing

My photo
eNOTHING has a mission: To bring poetry, arts and music to the streets via a growing artistic Twitter community.

POEM OF THE DAY - "Disgraceland" by Mary Karr


Disgraceland

by Mary Karr

Before my first communion, I clung to doubt
as Satan spider-like stalked
the orb of dark surrounding Eden

for a wormhole into paradise.
God had formed me from gel in my mother’s womb,
injected by my dad’s smart shoot.

They swapped sighs until
I came, smaller than a bite of burger.
Quietly, I grew till my lungs were done

then the Lord sailed a soul
like a lit arrow to inhabit me.
Maybe that piercing

made me howl at birth,
or the masked creatures whose scalpel
cut a lightning bolt to free me.

I was hoisted by the heels and swatted, fed
and hauled around. Time-lapse photos show
my fingers grow past crayon outlines,

my feet come to fill spike heels.
Eventually, I lurched out
to kiss the wrong mouths, get stewed,

and sulk around. Christ always stood
to one side with a glass of water.
I swatted the sap away.

When my thirst got great enough to ask,
a clear stream welled up inside,
some jade wave buoyed me forward,

and I found myself upright
in the instant, with a garden
inside my own ribs aflourish.

There, the arbor leafs.
The vines push out plump grapes.
You are loved, someone said. Take that

and eat it.

-

2 comments:

  1. "then the Lord sailed a soul
    like a lit arrow to inhabit me."

    Disgrace has rarely been portrayed so gracefully.

    Are the grapes sweet?

    In any case I say: Hail Bromius, Evius, Zagreus, Iacchos, Bacchus, Dithyrambus - hail Dionysus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, obsidian: your enthusiasm is making me want to trumpet...seriously though, that same line really stands out for me, too.

    ReplyDelete